The Peace Sign Approach
The Peace Sign Approach simplifies the often confusing and overwhelming task of responding to mean behavior, breaking down the solution into simple steps that are easy to remember. Unlike most bullying programs that focus on stopping the aggressors, rely on school-wide systems, yearly licensing, and take significant time to implement, the Peace Sign is a psychological approach which can be put into effect immediately to empower students.
The Peace Sign Approach empowers students to face adversity, grow in resilience, and solve their own social problems. It is an effective approach for bullying prevention, intervention, and response.
Student Assembly Program
Through clean comedy, inspiring real-life stories, and evidence-based techniques, Jeff shares social and emotional coping skills that helped him overcome bullying. He shares how treating his enemies like friends transformed his life after years of being picked on at school and abused at home.
Jeff Veley is described as a one-man variety show that teaches students how to cope and find hope no matter their circumstances. His energetic presentation also features music and illusions, two things that Jeff used himself to emotionally cope in the midst of difficult circumstances.
The program uses Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) and resilience education to equip students with the skills that empower them to face adversity, grow in resilience, and solve their own social problems. Students will learn how to grow in resilience, be seen as a leader among their peers, and turn their enemies into friends.
This assembly program is designed for upper elementary, middle, and high school students. Contact us to learn more about programming options for younger students. Jeff's message is always tailored to reach students in an entertaining way that is age appropriate.
(Duration: 30 - 60 minutes)
- Defining Bullying: Simplifying a complicated issue.
- The Peace Sign: The two-step approach that uses social skills to stop mean behavior.
- Cope for Hope: Creative coping skills centered around your passions to release stress, manage emotions, and foster healing.
- The Anger Illusion: Why getting upset makes things worse.
- Resilience: How to protect your heart and change your mindset.
- Love: How compassion in action helps make friends and manage enemies.
Follow Up Sessions:
These optional sessions can be added to Jeff's keynote presentation at no cost. They are the perfect way to tailor Jeff's program to meet your goals. Each workshop is 30-45 minutes in length.
- Finding Amy: Jeff's shares about the student who changed his life by simply inviting him to sit at her lunch table. Students are challenged to "be someone's Amy."
- Becoming Cyber-Smart: How to respond to digital drama such as cyber-bullying, textual harassment, and sexting.
- Anger Management: A three-step process to prevent, intervene, and positively respond to anger.
- Resilience Revolution: The media is full of stories of people who have given up or made the wrong choices. Jeff shares stories of those that faced adversity, overcame obstacles, found potential in their pain, and turned their struggle into something positive. It inspires students to do the same.
- Golden Rule Leadership: Teaching students the secret to influencing others including how to start by leading yourself so that others will follow.
Follow Up Materials:
- Peace Cards: Wallet-sized cards for every student that include social skills to respond to mean behavior, coping skills for dealing with stress, a 24/7 crisis hotline, and a downloadable video from Jeff sharing the key points of the program through 1-on-1 teaching. A perfect resource for any student who finds them self in need of help.
- Discussion Guide: Designed for classrooms and small groups, this guide reinforces the key points of Jeff's message and get students talking about what they learned.
- Online Training for Adults: Educators, parents, and mental health professionals will learn how to help students grow in their resilience and peacefully respond to social aggression. This video is easy to distribute to staff and parents through an email newsletter.
- Online Training for Students: Students will be reminded of the Peace Sign Approach in this fun and entertaining 10-minute training video. Use it to recap the message and spark discussion in the classroom, play it on your morning announcements for Anti-Bullying Month, and utilize it in the counseling office to empower students that are being bullied.
- Bonus Content: We've thrown in a few surprises to further your efforts in implementing the Peace Sign Approach to stop bullying.
Professional Development Training for Educators and Mental Health Professionals
As a professional who has spent several years working on the front lines in schools and residential treatment programs, Jeff truly understands how it important it is to find simple techniques that will work right away! His training seminar teaches educators and mental health professionals the most effective ways to empower young people to solve social conflict.
Unlike many programs that rely on school-wide systems and significant time to implement, Jeff will teach you how to equip victims of bullying with social and conflict resolution skills in as little as 15 minutes. These techniques provide students with the skills needed to respond to social aggression and solve their own social problems. This means that staff can focus on coaching and teaching rather than policing and enforcing. When put into practice, these techniques will yield immediate results. Jeff's training is full of laughter, audience participation, and role-playing of real-life scenarios.
(Duration: 60 minutes - 6 hours)
This training gives parents a deeper understanding about bullying. Parents will learn the best ways to help their child solve social problems and how they can rehearse these skills at home. Through role-playing common bullying scenarios they find a superior way to help their child respond to social aggression and grow in resilience.
Many parents come to the training with pre-conceived notions of how schools should handle conflict, but leave with a completely new perspective that unites their efforts and the school's. They share that Jeff's training is "eye-opening" and "completely changed" their outlook on bullying.
(Duration: 60 - 90 minutes)