Conference Keynote Speaker
- Attendees will learn how to play a unique improvisational game that educates children in why they are bullied and how to stop it immediately and with little effort. When attendees infuse this game into their current prevention, intervention, and rehabilitation efforts, they will help students grow in emotional resilience, build empathy and kindness, and develop effective leadership skills.
- Attendees will learn the top ten socio-emotional resilience items that must be identified for a child to become truly emotionally resilient to bullying behaviors. Attendees will learn how to apply the "Peace Sign Approach" and role playing game to a child’s unique area of weakness in order to build and promote emotional strength.
- Attendees will learn a simplified definition of bullying/social aggression that allows them more clearly understand this complex issue and how to respond to it more effectively. Furthermore, attendees will learn how to keep a positive mindset that enables them to see the bullying problem as an educational opportunity for a student's’ social and emotional growth.
Research has identified resilience education as a promising solution for the modern bullying problem. The challenge is this, “How do we identify a child’s emotional weaknesses and teach them to become more emotionally resilient?” Jeff Veley will provide tools to identify areas of weakness as well as simple ways to strengthen children in their specific areas of need.
As a professional who has spent several years working on the front lines in schools and residential treatment programs, Jeff Veley truly understands how important it is to find simple techniques to use with youth that will work right away! Unlike many programs that rely on school-wide systems and significant time to implement, Jeff's approach focuses on empowering students with the social and emotional skills that allow them to face adversity, grow in resilience, and solve their own social problems.
Attendees will learn a practical approach to responding to social aggression that’s psychologically-sound and rooted in Social and Emotional Learning. This approach gives students the ability to change their own situation rather than waiting on the environment around them to change. As a result, students grow in the areas of self-confidence, self-esteem, and self-worth. Educators and mental health professionals that utilize Jeff’s techniques will find that they spend far less time policing and intervening and instead serve as a coach, supporting social skill education.
Jeff’s session is high-energy and infused with stories of student success and failure, best practices from the latest research studies on resilience, wisdom from the ages, and plenty of humor. His teaching methods include lecturing, interactive role-playing with audience participation, and group discussion.
(Duration: 60 minutes - 90 minutes)
Available Breakout Sessions:
These optional sessions can be added to Jeff's keynote presentation at no cost. They are the perfect way to tailor Jeff's program to meet your goals. Each workshop is 30-45 minutes in length.
- Cyberbullying - Battling the New Beast: Jeff shares how to apply the "Peace Sign Approach" to bullying, how to prepare kids to deal with mean behavior online, and when and how to report cyberbullying if a child is in danger.
- Becoming Cyber-Smart: How to respond to digital drama such as cyber-bullying, textual harassment, and sexting.
- Anger Management: A three-step process to prevent, intervene, and positively respond to anger.
- Resilience Revolution: The media is full of stories of people who have given up or made the wrong choices. Jeff shares stories of those that faced adversity, overcame obstacles, found potential in their pain, and turned their struggle into something positive. It inspires students to do the same.
- Safe Dates: This session explores the topic of dating through identifying values, recognizing signs of abuse, and understanding the components of healthy relationships. Jeff has been a certified trainer and facilitator of the SAFE DATES Curriculum for over 8 years.
Follow Up Materials:
- Online Training: Educators, parents, and mental health professionals will learn how to help students grow in their resilience and peacefully respond to social aggression. This video is easy to distribute to staff and parents through an email newsletter.